The Infirmary opened its doors in 1864 with a patient capacity of 32 beds and staff to deal with a total of 516 admissions and out patients.
On the 21st of April 1914 by a decree of King George V, the word Royal was officially added to the title, it was, in future to be known as The Blackburn and East Lancashire Royal Infirmary.
By July 2006 most of the services had moved to the new Hospital, which was to retain its Royal status and be known as The Royal Blackburn Hospital the building was officially opened on 8th July 2006.
The site of the Infirmary was sold to Barratt Homes, who got planning permission to build 253 homes on the site, at first it was thought that much of the old part of the Infirmary would be retained and turned into apartments but an Heritage Assessment deemed that the early buildings had been so much altered and built upon resulting in a loss of both external and internal detail that they do not warrant retention in any future development scheme.
Only the War Memorial Wing remains.
Click on the images for better quality.