The building of this hospital began in 1822. The lunatic asylum was established so that mentally ill patients could be treated separately from other patients. Approximately 30 years after the Hospital was built, the east and west wings were added to the private airing courtyards. The number of patients steadily increased, and Clerkseat House, housed by the Physician Superintendent Dr Jamieson, was soon needed to house patients. This section of the Hospital was no longer surplus to their requirements and left to decay.