The site was first used around 1831 by Joshua Craven as the centre of a putting-out system, and developed as a mill from around 1848. The first mill building, the large mill, was in existence by 1849 and the first warehouse, dated 1849, followed soon after. Craven continued to buy up plots of land to accommodate his growing business, and by 1851 the firm was described as a worsted manufactury employing 240 people. The business continued to expand, with the small mill built in around 1850-60, and the second warehouse fronting the road in 1855. The firm of Joshua Craven & Son continued until 1875, when the buildings were bought by Adolphus Getz of Bradford, and subsequently by others until at least 1929.