The history of St Mary in the Wood covers over 1,000 years. It is recorded in the Domesday Book 1086. On the 25 September 1650, a lease was granted to local Presbyterians for 500 years. The freehold was bought in 1950 and presented to the Congregation Trustees. Worship changed to Congregationalism at the turn of the 19th century. In 1967 St Mary-in-the-Wood, Rehoboth and St Mary’s Mission joined together as the Congregational Church of Morley. On 5th October 1972, the name of the Church reverted to St Mary’s-in-the-Wood on the formation of the United Reformed Church (Congregational and Presbyterian). It is the only instance in England or Wales of an ancient Episcopal place of Worship which did not return to the Established Church at the Restoration of the Stuarts in 1660.
The church was destroyed by a fire on 12th June 2010.